- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 coriander roots*, scrubbed
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 2¼ cups vegetable stock
- 1 bunch English spinach, trimmed and roughly chopped (about 150g trimmed leaves)
- ⅓ cup currants
- ⅓ cup pistachio nuts, chopped
- Lemon wedges, to serve Lemon yoghurt:
- ½ cup Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- *Leave about 5cm stem attached to the coriander roots.
STEP 1 To make lemon yoghurt, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
STEP 2 Place onion, garlic, ginger, coriander roots, cardamom, garam masala and 1 tbs oil in a small food processor. Process until finely chopped.
STEP 3 Heat remaining 1 tbs oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion mixture and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
STEP 4 Stir in stock, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for 12-15 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in spinach, currants and pistachios and cook until spinach just wilts. Serve with lemon yoghurt and lemon wedges.
Recipe by http://www.sydneymarkets.com.au