- 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup caramelized balsamic vinegar
- 21⁄2 tbs olive oil
- 450g lamb sirloins (or use boneless lamb cut of choice)
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 100g baby salad leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling, to serve
STEP 1 To make balsamic onions, combine onions, garlic, balsamic vinegar and 1 tbs oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbs oil and heat until hot. Add onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes until soft and golden. Set aside to cool slightly.
STEP 2 Spray lamb with oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a greased barbecue plate or non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add lamb and cook, for 8-10 minutes (for medium-rare sirloins), turning occasionally, until sealed and almost cooked through. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
STEP 3 Thinly slice lamb. Arrange salad greens, tomatoes and lamb on serving plates. Top with balsamic onions, lightly drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve.
Recipe by http://www.sydneymarkets.com.au